The company was started in the 1850's by Mr. Dixon Hall, the son of the first Constable of Batley, Mr. Willie Hall. The founder was firstly a mill and colliery furnisher and ironmonger, selling items such as brattice cloth and detonators to the mines, and steam and fire fighting equipment to the mills. Some of the suppliers with whom he did business are still on the books today.
Over the years the company expanded and diversified and made a number of aquisitions. Today, Dixon Hall is a significant supplier of general ironmongery, pipework, tools, engineering goods, building and industrial hardware, welding equipment and other ancillary products, and in addition retails to the general public at each of its four sites. In a nutshell, Dixon Hall is THE HARDWARE SUPPLIER SELLING BRANDS YOU CAN TRUST!
This family business was founded in the 1850's by Mr.Dixon Hall trading from premises on Commercial Street, Batley. Dixon was primarily a mill and colliery supplier selling a wide product range to fulfil their installation and maintenance requirements. Some of the more interesting items stocked in those days included brattice cloth and detonators to the mines and steam and fire fighting equipment to the mills.
The family involvement began to develop in 1882 when Dixon employed his nephew William Hall Watson. He developed the business by travelling the district on foot to bring in new business. This picture of Dixon Hall outside his shop circa 1895 gives an interesting and accurate snapshot of our stock range over 100 years ago.
Dixon Hall passed the business to his nephew in 1907 and William was joined by his son James and daughter Ada just before World War One, to be joined soon after by Ada's husband Edwin Barraclough. During this period an additional shop was opened in Birstall.
The company became limited in 1923 with WH Watson as M.D. and James and Edwin as Directors. In the 1940's the next family generation joined the business- Will Watson and Alan Barraclough. In the years that followed further expansion took place, a branch was opened in Morley and a merger with T Brook and Sons added a further outlet in Ravensthorpe. Father and son Geoffrey and Nigel Brook joined the business as Dixon Hall acquired larger premises on Grafton Street, Batley to meet the increasing demand and further develop its role as an industrial supplier.
In the 1980's Geoff Brook retired and Will Watson's sons John and Jim were appointed Directors along with Alan Barraclough's daughter and son-in-law Alison and Richard Whitaker. Following the sale of the Morley shop, Dixon Hall (Wakefield) Ltd was established at Chantry Bridge, then the shops at Birstall and Commercial Street, Batley were also sold. A new company Dixon Hall (Bradford) was created and located in purpose-built premises off Bowling Back Lane.
Will Watson and Alan Barraclough retired in the 1990's leaving the fifth generation to continue offering the customer service and stock range of which Dixon Hall is justifiably proud. Nigel Brook retired in 2005 and Richard Whitaker in 2011.
In 2014 John and Jim Watson retired and the company was taken over by two former employees, Carl Germaine and Ian Croft.
Carl and Ian have a wealth of knowledge and experience in the industry from their years as company purchasing manager and branch manager, respectively. They have immediately brought the comapany upto date by vastly improving the company website and also adding an online presence on ebay and social media sites.
The story continues.........!